Ah, strawberries and cream. I have been experimenting with capturing these flavours in cake form. I wanted initially to make cookies. But these are more cake-like in texture. Plenty of body, dense, rich and tall. Also creamy and not crumbly like a biscuit. They are a doddle to make, and look super pretty on a dainty afternoon tea plate.
I think I might have to stop buying cream cheese for a while now…
Strawberry and cream cookie cakes
- 250g cream cheese
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sliced strawberries (I used frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius. Grease a baking tray with spray oil.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar together in a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, the egg, the flour and baking powder and beat until it forms a smooth dough. Add more flour if it is sticky.
- Use your hands to shape balls using approx. ¼ cup of dough for each one. Place onto the baking tray and flatten with your palm. Use your finger to create an indent in the middle of each cake.
- Place a slice of strawberry on top of each cake in the indent.
- Cook in the oven for 25 mins. Cool on a wire rack before eating!