When I was growing up, my mother would have a dish in her frequent weeknight meals rotation that we called “Chicken with chutney and cheese on top”. Catchy title, yes? 😉 I’m not sure where she got the recipe from, but it formed a staple in my childhood. I have taken this as inspiration for today’s recipe, bearing in mind that Christmas is around the corner, and therefore fruit mince is in our cupboards and in our baking. Why not add it to a savoury dish?
So here we are – a retro inspired baked chicken dish topped with oniony fruit mince and melted cheese, and served with roast potatoes and Brussels sprouts. This is such an easy meal to make, it is a literal ‘top the chicken and whack in the oven’ deal. Once again, I have made this recipe adaptable so that it is baby friendly! I have also made this recipe freezer-friendly, so that you can have one night off cooking the week after making this recipe 🙂
Fruit mince chicken bake
- 6-8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 75g dried apricots
- 75g mixed peel
- 100g sultanas
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- Juice of half an orange
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4-6 potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts
- Preheat the oven to 200° Celsius. Spray a heavy bottomed roasting tray with oil.
- Make the fruity topping by placing the apricots, mixed peel, sultanas, garlic, onion, and spices into a food processor and process until it becomes roughly chopped.
- Place the chicken thighs on the roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over the topping to cover the thighs evenly. Pour over the orange juice and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Add the potatoes and Brussels sprouts to the tray and bake in the oven for approximately 45 mins or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are golden and crunchy on the outside.