I decided to try something different with my sauce for this recipe, and it is so easy! Simply stir the sauce ingredients together straight in the baking tray, before adding the pasta and vegetables. I have chosen veggies that are in season and readily available, but you could use whatever you fancy or have in your kitchen.
Baking the risoni in the eggy sauce gives it a rather pudding-like texture with a pleasing crunchy topping. A lovely dish full of springtime flavours!
Baked risoni with corn, tomatoes and zucchini
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tomatoes, halved
- 1 zucchini, shaved into thin slices
- 500g dry risoni
- 1 egg
- 500g creamed cottage cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 15g grated parmesan
- Fresh basil, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius.
- Heat a griddle pan and chargrill the corn, tomatoes (face down) and zucchini for 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, cook the risoni in salted boiling water according to packet instructions.
- Grease a deep roasting tray and break the egg into it. Add the cottage cheese and mix well. Add cooked risoni and vegetables and stir to mix well.
- Top with a layer of finely grated parmesan and bake for 20 -25 mins until golden and crusty on top. Sprinkle a few leaves of fresh basil on top to serve.