It is hard not to find a caramel slice if you are in a bakery in Australia. And for good reason! I have yet to meet someone who does not love to eat it! For me personally, if a caramel slice is there on display amongst the array of other delicious looking cakes and pastries, it is very hard to order anything else.
For my recipe today, I have taken the traditional caramel slice and added an Earl Grey tea flavour to the caramel layer. I like to eat my caramel slice with tea, so why not combine the two?
This slice recipe was actually my first foray into doing my own thing in the kitchen – I first tried it out a year and a half ago. However, it’s been the hardest one so far to get right. Unfortunately for me, that’s meant a LOT of leftover caramel slice to eat 😛 However, after lots of tinkering I think I’m there! Let me know if you try it out 🙂
Earl Grey Caramel Slice
For the base:
- 150g plain flour
- 50g brown sugar
- 75g coconut
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
For the caramel:
- 100g brown sugar
- 120g unsalted butter
- 2 Earl Grey teabags
- 2x 395g tins of sweetened condensed milk
For the chocolate layer:
- 200g dark chocolate
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 180° Celsius. Grease a baking tray with spray oil.
- Combine flour, sugar, coconut and melted butter.
- Press the mixture evenly into the base of the baking tray and bake in the oven for 12 mins until golden. Cool on the bench for 10 mins and then put it into the fridge to cool until needed.
- For the caramel, melt the brown sugar with the butter and the contents of the two teabags in a medium saucepan on a medium heat. Whisk together and bring the mixture up to a bubble, and then take off the heat and cover. Leave to infuse for 2 mins.
- Add the condensed milk to the saucepan, whisk frequently and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and whisk constantly for 5 mins until the mixture is thick.
- Pour the caramel mixture onto the base and cook in the oven for 20 mins at 160° Celsius until the caramel layer is set. Cool on the bench for 10 mins and then place in the fridge until completely cold.
- For the chocolate layer, place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for one minute. Stir to mix heat evenly and help to melt the rest of the chocolate. Continue heating the chocolate for one minute at a time, until all of the chocolate has melted. Add the oil to the chocolate and stir.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer and, using a palette knife, spread evenly to cover the whole slice. Cool in the fridge until set.